What is Mobile Marketing? Beginner’s Guide
What is Mobile Marketing? We all are living in a Mobile-first world. More and more numbers of users are spending larger amounts of time on mobile devices. Mobile Commerce is expanding rapidly and that’s why, for marketers. If you are not incorporating some kind of Mobile Marketing strategy in your marketing campaign then you are already trailing behind.
Below given 10 steps will not only explain the Mobile Marketing meaning. It will also help you know the best Mobile Marketing Strategies, Practices and Tools.
1. Know What is Mobile Marketing and How does it Work
Mobile Marketing can be understood as the art of marketing your business to connect, convince and convert mobile device users. If done right, benefits of Mobile Marketing include targeting of potential customers who use smartphones with customized, time and location-driven information. This lets prospects get what they need even if they’re on the go. The expanding capabilities of Smartphones has been the reasons behind the new types of Mobile Marketing Channels such as –
- Location-based service (LBS)
- Augmented Reality
- 2D Barcodes
- GPS messaging
According to ‘What is Mobile Marketing Guides’, campaigns that run via mobiles comprise ads that appear on smartphones/tablets or other mobile devices. Ad formats, styles and customization can vary as per different websites, businesses, social media platforms, etc. That is why, working of different Mobile Marketing campaigns includes their own unique and tailored features and mobile ad options.
2. Why You need Mobile Marketing?
Once you know ‘What is Mobile Marketing’, the next thing that you need to pay heed upon is why your business needs a Mobile Marketing strategy. As per the recent reports, 40% of users’ internet time is spent on their smartphones. It means most of your users are already using mobiles. To target them you have to incorporate Marketing Strategy in your marketing campaign. Some other notable statistics for you are-
- 80% of mobile device time is spent on Mobile Applications
- 70% more web pages are browsed on tablets than smartphones
- More than 65% of emails are first opened on a Smartphone
- More than 60% of B2B buyers frequently use mobile for accessing Vendor’s content
- Around 95+ % of adults prefer using smartphones for searching any queries
It alleviates the audience targeting. It accelerates the optimization of your business by ensuring much wide reach compared to Digital Marketing Campaigns that do not include Mobile Marketing strategy.
3. Know the types of Mobile Marketing Strategy
Now you have to know what type of Marketing Strategy is the best fit for your business. Below given is the list of different types of Strategies-
- App-based marketing
- In-game Mobile Marketing
- QR codes
- Location-based Mobile Marketing
- Mobile Search Ads
- Mobile Image Ads
Knowing the specific types of Strategy that is the best fit for your business is must for reaping great benefits of Mobile Marketing.
4. Create Mobile Buyer Persona
To run a successful Mobile Marketing Campaign, understanding your prospect is a must. Mobile buyer personas are the most valuable tools to do so. Buyer personas can be understood as fictional representations of different types of customers.
For creating a buyer persona, create a profile. It describes background, goals, job description, objections, sources of information, challenges, content preferences, and role in the buyer’s journey.
This helps in getting a clear picture of the target audience. It updates you about their mobile habits as well that will help you customize your campaign as per their preferences.
You can monitor Google Analytics for your site’s mobile traffic numbers that will help you create highly accurate Mobile Buyer Persona.
A/B testing can also help you create buyer personas.
5. Set Goals and Establish KPIs
The key to defining any effective Mobile Marketing strategy is to first decide what should be the goals of your campaign. You can identify your Marketing Goals by asking these questions:
- What are you currently doing for targeting the Mobile Users, as this will help you find out your starting point
- Why did you include Mobile Marketing in your overall marketing strategy
- What do you expect and why you’re considering mobiles now
- Do you have key audiences
- What are the right channels best suited for your kind of business
The success of campaigns depends upon the measurable KPIs of your Marketing Strategy. Some of the KPIs of a Mobile Marketing Campaign suggested by ‘What is Mobile Marketing Guide’ are-
- Customer Service
For identifying right KPIs for your campaign, you should ask yourself questions. Do you wish to increase conversions via Emails, how can you increase traffic to sales pages, how can you generate more qualified prospects, can your business improve sales if you convert more traffic on any specific page, etc.
6. Know Google Mobile Ad Extensions
Google Mobile Ad Extensions play a significant role in ensuring Mobile Advertising be fruitful. Some of the Mobile Ad extensions that ‘top What is Mobile Marketing Guides’ suggest are-
- Mobile Site Links that help mobile users jump to specific pages of your site without wandering around
- Click-to-Call Mobile Ad Extension puts a “call” button directly beneath the Mobile ad
- Google Offers for Mobile ad extension helps advertisers post a coupon or a discount offer beneath their Mobile ad
- Click-to-Download Ad Extension takes users to the download page
- Local Ad Extensions help you target mobile searches related to local solutions
7. Know best Mobile Marketing Practices
Knowing Mobile Marketing practices that easily influence target audiences are must for letting your Campaign be Conversion driven.
Below given are some important practices you should pay heed upon-
- When running a Campaign it is inevitable to be Clear and Concise
- You should optimize your Campaign for Local Audiences
- Your mobile Ads should influence the type of audience you’re hoping to reach
- Experiment with your Mobile Marketing Strategies and always try to make them relevant
- Test out some ad extensions with your Mobile Advertising Campaigns such as
- Google Offers ad extension, click-to-call extension, etc.
- You should benchmark your results and using tools like AdWords Grader will help you see how your mobile PPC ads are performing
8. Have Mobile Friendly Websites
Having a mobile-friendly website is inevitable nowadays. Along with great availability of prospects, mobile friendliness of a website is also a ranking factor. Mobile friendliness of your site should be as easy and seamless as possible. Mobile friendliness of sites depends on following factors-
- No need to side-to-side scrolling or zooming for seeing the content
- Instant Content Loading
- Returning of no mobile-specific errors
- Mobile friendliness of website influences buying decisions of purchasers.
Below given statistics will prove this-
60+ % of mobile users abandon a site page if that does not load within 10 seconds
40+ % of executives do not make an intended purchase if the site they visited wasn’t mobile-friendly
9. Know the right Mobile Marketing Tools your Business Needs
Tools help in making mobile-friendly advertisements, creating dashboards accessible from mobile, development of mobile apps, etc. To run a successful Marketing Campaign, knowing the right Marketing Tools developed for specific purposes is a must.
Below given is the list of Tools for doing specific Mobile Advertising Actions-
1. Social Media Marketing
2. Content Marketing
3. Mobile Site Management
- Google’s Mobile-Friendly Testing Tool
- Google Analytics
- Google’s PageSpeed Tools
- AdWords Performance Grader
- Mobile Pay
5. Mobile Marketing Tools for Mobile Time Management
10. Monitor your Mobile Marketing Metrics
Monitoring Mobile Marketing Metrics will help you measure the performance of campaigns. This will help you know how mobile actually affects your web traffic. Different metrics help you find out the queries that may lead mobile traffic to your site or guide you about the pages that you should optimize to make them responsive, etc.
In Google Analytics, you can add the Device Category field to the Site Content dashboard for monitoring the quantity and quality of mobile traffic coming to your site. The table on the Site Content dashboard includes different metrics such as Pageviews and Bounce Rate.
Two kinds of data that Google Analytics offers to monitor mobile usage of a site are-
1. Mobile Behavior Data that will help you know how well your mobile content engages the readers
2. Mobile Conversion Data will aid you to know the key landing pages that you should optimize for mobile browsing
Mobiles are the most personal marketing channel that exists. People have it in their pocket, put it next to their bed, and check it throughout the day. All this makes Mobile Marketing incredibly important. The above steps mentioned will help you to fine-tune your mobile marketing efforts.