10 Common WordPress Mistakes by WordPress Beginners
It is quite common to make mistakes when we are learning something new. Same thing applies to WordPress blogs also. Here, we are disusing on most common WordPress mistakes that we do when building WordPress blog. By avoiding those mistakes you can save lot of time, energy and money.
1. WordPress automatically adds tagline to every blog. Most of beginners forget to change this. So, go to dashboard > settings > general to change this tagline.
2. Sometimes, you might have seen web pages like http://abc.com/?p=1383, which is default permalink structure. In this case, it is really difficult to remember the web page and it affects search engine ranks too. So change your permalink structure in settings. You can use post name, day, month and custom structure to specify your post URL.
3. The most common mistake that a WordPress beginner make is not to create backups. There are chances of losing data, so having back ups of your content helps to restore data. Some of the best backup plugins are WordPress Backup to Dropbox, BackupBuddy, BackWPup, UpdraftPlus, BackUpWordPress.
4. Sometimes, you may forget to update plugins used in your website, which is vulnerable to hackers. So keep your plugins updated. Delete the plugins which you are not using.
5. When you are still building WordPress blog, you might have blocked search engines from indexing your site. But Many WordPress beginners forget to unblock the search engines after they built blogs, which causes there is no traffic to the site.
6.WordPress comes with a default sample page. Most of the people forget to delete it. So it gets indexed and come up with search results if it is not deleted.
7. WordPress releases new versions with updated features often. But many WordPress beginners ignore to update WordPress. Follow WordPress.org to get updated WordPress versions and update your WordPress version to latest release regularly.
8. WordPress is most popular for blogs and is a target for many hackers. If you do not delete admin user, it will make easy for hackers to access your back end WordPress dashboard and collect important data. So do not forget to delete admin user once you create another user.
9. If a user has already visited your site, cached pages will be stored in browser and will be displayed to user. This will reduce the load on server and reduces work for database. Hence results in faster user experience. You can use W3 Total Cache plugin to reduce load time and increase performance.
10. WordPress site should be easily accessible through mobiles i.e your site should be mobile-friendly. So customize your site with plugins like “WPtouch” or use responsive themes to build your site.
These are the common WordPress mistakes that newbie does and these needs to be avoided in order to get higher search ranks.